In June of 2006, I noticed that my right front wheel cylinder was leaking.  This was a good opportunity to switch over to disc brakes from the 1974 Duster I got the year before.  Unfortunately, the brake conversion dragged on until June 2011.  After 5 years, I had a hard time getting the car started and, once running, the old gas in the tank plugged up my fuel filter and the crud may have caused the float valve to leak.  In July of 2011, I had to reinstall the AFB because the carb was overflowing gasoline onto the ground.

I thought that now would be a good time to rebuild it to rebuild the carburetor and club members recommended Specialty Carburetors Inc. in Toronto.  Over the winter, they restored the carb to factory-new condition, including rebushing the shafts and going down one primary jet size.  They told me that the Edelbrock electric choke was a piece of junk and replaced it with a GM unit.  I dropped off my AFB too to get refurbished with a choke assembly but they told me not to bother because it was full of rust from a rusty gas tank.

I wasn't ready to replace my gas tank just yet but gas tank rust is very fine and the fuel filter was not enough to keep it out out of the AFB's fuel bowls.  After shopping around, I got a new Spectra CR11F gas tank through Rock Auto in October 2013.  I am still amazed that this Canadian-made part was far cheaper to order from a Rock Auto warehouse to Buffalo, NY than it was to buy with a trade discount from the local NAPA store.

I tackled the tank replacement in 2014 after the fuel line ruptured at the electric fuel pump on our way back from Canada Day in NOTL and I lost about a half tank in the 15 minutes it took me to get home. While the tank was out, I noticed that the filler tube and sender were rusty.  Replacing the sender was easy but the filler tube was more of a challenge. Removing the tube was a fairly big job because the left rear interior around the trunk interior needed to be disassembled.  I ended up removing the filler tube rust with a chelating solution (Evapo-Rust) and then coating the inside with POR-15 tank sealer (1 pint was plenty).

 

I also took the advice of club members to clear-coat the tank before installation so as to maintain a new appearance, which was another delay.  To ensure that my fuel sender would work properly, I thought it would be wise to add a ground stud to the sender, which I sealed on the inside with epoxy. I got sender with the larger 3/8" fuel line to match my previously upgraded 3/8 fuel line and the 1/4" nozzle was for future use in case I ever got around to fuel injection.

 

 

It took me until October of 2015 to get the car back on the road.  I continued using the AFB to ensure that any residual rust in the fuel lines would not foul my newly rebuilt Quadrajet.

While driving around with the AFB, I revisited the primary jetting and improved the car's fuel economy.  It ran pretty good but the lack of choke and the left-turn cut-out was still a bit annoying.

Custom Search